Born in Manila, Philippines. Grew up in Yonkers, New York. Lover of design, technology, and the humanities.
Design is my life. I drew rockets, cellphones, houses, and sneakers when I was a child. Though I grew up modestly, I was lucky enough to attend a technical school at a young age to learn the fundamentals of electrical & mechanical engineering, computer science, and industrial drafting.
I moved to the U.S. for high school and applied all of that creative energy into graphic & web design, theater, and poetry. I studied English & journalism in college and later combined my love for technology and the humanities to move into digital product design.
I've had the privilege to work on a lot of great products with great teams. Today, I constantly study and think about how product, design, and engineering can create better products, better teams, and better businesses that lead to better lives.
In my free time, I scour the web for fonts and collect random visual inspiration to use in side projects. I like to get lost in a good book, watch a fun or deep TV series, and drink a good cocktail. I'm also a huge Michigan Wolverines fan so I watch every football and basketball game.
Combining my life experience, personality, and personal gifts, I've arrived at three core purposes that I strive for:
- Infuse technology with art and soul and do it through my work and lead by example.
- Empower people to do things through technology in a manner that moves their being.
- Inspire others—especially the youth and the underprivileged—to build technology with soul.
These things motivate me every single day, keep me grounded, and help me when things get difficult. Ultimately, it's the standard by which I measure my life.
Below is a list of books, essays, & talks in design, business, & leadership I return to often to help me think about building impactful products, teams, and businesses.
And much like software which is never finished, designers are never finished. So I update this list as often as I can when I find something worth returning to.
Note: I don't agree with everything from these authors, let alone with anyone, but their thinking has definitely helped stretched my own.
What I'm reading right now: The Gift by Lewis Hyde, Expressive Design Systems by Yesenia Perez-Cruz, and Bulletproof Problem Solving by Charles Conn & Robert McLean.
- Fundamental Truths by Rebekah Cox
- Tech as a Taste-Based Industry by Jong-Moon Kim
- The Importance of Being Ruthless by Jon Schlossberg
- Where We Can Go by Dan Eden
- How to Make Things High Quality by Julie Zhou
- Managing Product Development by Integrating Around Concerns by Ryan Singer
- Finding Fulfilling Work by Sean Rose
- Fuck Content by Michael Rock
- There is No Such Thing as Neutral Graphic Design by Ellen Lupton & Leslie Xia
- Youth Mode: A Report on Freedom by K-Hole
- No to NoUI by Timo Arnall
- Intuitive Means Familiar by Jef Raskin
- The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) by Elon Musk
- Divine Discontent: Disruption’s Antidote by Ben Thompson
- Letter to the Equity Partners of Philadelphia 76ers by Sam Hinkie
- My Urge to Fail and Fail Again by David Duchovny
- Applied Discovery by David Cole
- Five Things We Need to Know About Technological Change by Neil Postman
- Insights: 2020 by Leland Maschmeyer
- Understanding Identity, Power, & Equity in Design Leadership by Antionette D. Carroll
- Ten Things I Have Learned by Milton Glaser
- This is Water by David Foster Wallace